Many people associated with cats are unaware of how toxic lilies can be to cats. Lilies are becoming more popular, particularly in floral arrangements. This is putting indoor cats more at risk. All parts of the lily (flowers, stamen, stem, leaves and roots) are toxic, causing sudden kidney failure. Only a small portion of the plant needs to be eaten to cause serious problems. Often this may not be noticed by the owner. Outdoor access may also go unnoticed.
Lily toxicity should be considered in every case of acute kidney failure in cats. There is no antitoxin available and treatment is supportive with no guarantee of a good outcome. Preventing access to any type of Lily plant or flower inside and outside is the best way of keeping your cat safe.